29 September 2010

Look Good... Feel Better

I just got home from a “Look Good... Feel Better” session. I have to admit it exceeded all my expectations. I wasn’t very convinced about it at first, I thought it would be a bunch of silly women talking about make-up. But no, I was very wrong, it was a group of very nice and cheerful cancer patients who, just like me, want to feel and look as normal as possible.

For someone like me who hardly ever wears make-up and doesn’t even have lipstick or eyeliner these workshops are of great value. Beauty consultants taught us how to choose the right skin products and make-up according to our skin type and showed us how to put on make-up. I loved it and I definitely feel better now. I am a bit disappointed there is no perfect way to draw natural looking eyebrows, but I learned some very useful tricks. I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes, but for how long I don’t know. Without eyebrows I will lose my facial expression and it will be even a bigger giveaway that I am going through chemotherapy.

Going through cancer treatments must be the most difficult times in our lives and knowing we don’t look good is demoralising and it definitely lowers our self-esteem. I don’t like looking in the mirror and seeing a pale-greyish-bald head looking back at me.

I will for sure wear more make-up and more often too.

On top of the free skin care and make-up lesson we all received a gift bag with lots good quality products in it.

It is a wonderful initiative that has for sure a positive effect on cancer patients.

Look Good... Feel Better is a charity set up by the Cosmetic Toiletry and Perfumery Association that helps women cancer patients to manage the visible side effects of cancer treatments. It holds free skincare and make-up workshops with volunteer experts. http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk/site/flash/pdvdpreview.swf

No comments: