As it was my last chemo and the nurses and all other staff have been so amazing, I wanted to give them something. One of the nurses had mentioned before that they always get bonbons and cakes, so I wanted to bring something different. I thought of an organic fruit basket, at least it would be healthy, but healthy is not fun. Instead I decided to make the Dutch Christmas cookies (speculaas and boterkoekjes) my mother has always made at home for Christmas. I spent two afternoons in the kitchen but it was worth it, they looked and tasted good. I hope they all enjoyed it too.
I brought a "souvenir" with me, the arm band I wore at the clinic.
From the clinic I also brought the usual goodie bag. Can't wait to stop filling my poor body with all these medicines.
On my first chemo day, before treatment started my mother took me a picture. Yesterday, before my last chemo treatment started S. also took me a picture (already with the needle and the catheter sticking out of my blouse!).
| 26 August 2010 The old me: still with thick brown hair, full eyebrows and eyelashes, healthy colour and energetic. |
| 10 December 2010 The chemo me: no hair, barely any eyebrows and eyelashes and in need of some sun and rest. |
Chemotherapy is horrible but I guess it is better than having cancer. Chemotherapy made me feel weak, exhausted beyond believe, nauseous, dizzy, emotionally drained, made me lose my hair, ruined my nails, gave me an itchy sore scalp, my skin got dry, gave me mouth ulcers and dry mouth, gave me watery eyes and a bleeding nose, gave me an annoying noise and a throbbing vein in my ear, gave me unpleasant headaches, gave me brown spots on my skin, gave me phlebitis, gave me terrible bone pain, muscle pain and joint pain, made me lose my concentration, gave me insomnias, made me lose my appetite, gave me heartburn, colic and indigestion, made me have severe constipation and severe diarrhoea, weakened my immune system and most probably damaged my ovaries leaving me infertile. Did I forget anything? However, even though the list is long, it is better than cancer!
My blood counts have been falling with each cycle. My white blood cell count and neutrophil count are quite low at the moment. I just hope they don't get any lower and that I don't get any infections or other complications. On the 19th of Dec. we are supposed to fly to Portugal to spend Christmas and New Year's there. And I really want to go, I've been looking forward to getting away and being with my family and friends for months.
I can't wait to go back to a more normal life, to my old life if possible. My head is full of plans for 2011, starting with a relaxed holiday somewhere, going to the gym more regularly, meeting people without being afraid of feeling sick just hours before leaving home, going back to work, being able to concentrate on anything for more than one minute and enjoying life in general.
I will be staring into the mirror every day checking for any signs of hair growth. Once I get enough hair to cover my scalp, I will stop wearing scarves and hats. I am curious if it will grow weak, curly and grey or just like my old dark brown, straight, strong hair. Can't wait to have my first haircut.
Today is exactly six months since my diagnosis. Not sure yet how I feel about it. Tired, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment