22 December 2008

Where is my Christmas spirit this year?


This year I’ve decided I don’t like Christmas. And I don’t like it for what it is supposed to be.
It is supposed to be jolly. I hate Christmas carols and I don’t like other people telling me when to be “jolly”. Even the word annoys me. I also don’t like to be told to give to charity. I give when and if I want to, not because it is Christmas.
It is supposed to be a family celebration. Mine is just too far and there’s no skype or video cameras that can replace being with them. I guess I just have to grow up and get used to it.
It is supposed to have nice food. There’s no good possible substitute to speculaas, my mother’s pudding or turkey. Laksa and chili crab won’t do it!
This year I don’t like Christmas because I feel like I’ve failed. I failed to get caught by the spirit of it.
During Christmas people are just too jolly, eat too much and spend too much. The Christmas spirit has been overshadowed by commercialism. People spend too much on food, gifts, decoration and gasoline and don’t even think twice about sustainability. Then they worry too much about how to lose the extra kilos, how to get rid of undesirable gifts, where to store the decoration items and how to pay the credit card debts.
Some more religious people say Christmas is about giving, worshipping, loving and hoping. Well, throughout the year, I give attention, affection and some presents, I don’t worship anything or anyone, I love a lot of people and I always hope for something good (not just before the yearend). Talking about the yearend, I also don’t like when people keep postponing decisions: “Next year I will lose weight.” “Next year I will start going to the gym.” Why wait for the new year? Just do it!
I’ve lost my Christmas spirit this year. Sorry about that!

No comments: