07 February 2008

What would you like for breakfast? 6% fat, 5% fibre and 60% carbohydrates?

When I am eating I don’t want to know how many calories my food has, as I don’t want to know if it has any vitamins, iron or fibre. I was having breakfast in a hotel the other day and I noticed food was labelled in an interesting way: muesli was fibre, pomegranate juice was anti-oxidant, eggs were protein, and fruit salad was vitamins. This labelling was only in the continental breakfast and I understand why, those eating English breakfast probably don’t want to read on the label: fat, cholesterol and salt!
In the supermarket every single product has a sticker with the nutritional value, which doesn’t seem to help much because when I look around everybody is eating crisps and burgers. It is an interesting society obsessed with being famous, slim and healthy but apparently only in theory because in practice people in general look a bit fat and unhealthy.

No comments: