31 January 2008

Talking to a nine year old

Round 1:
- Wow, you’re tall. Do you bump your head into things?
- Not really, only if things are hanging too low.
- How did you get so tall?
- Good genes, I guess.
- ??
- You know, my mother is tall, my father is tall… and they made me eat soup every day!
- Why, they didn’t like you?

Round 2:
- How old are you?
- 33
- Do you have children?
- No
- Hum, you’re not married?
- No
- Oh! - she said looking sad – you should get married and have children.

Round 3:
- You talk funny, are you French?
- No, I’m Portuguese.
- There’s a French boy in my class, he also talks funny.
- You know why? Because English is not our first language.
- Mum, what is my second language?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In january 2002 I came as an exchange student to Amsterdam and I had often this interview.

Do you speak English?
yes.

Where are you coming from?
Germany.

Why would you learn Dutch?
Because I'm interested in the language which is everywhere here.

But you are speaking German and English that should be enough to survive in the Netherlands.
Yes it could be, but I would like to unterstand the people on street and get to know the Dutch culture not the English or German one.

English is also my second language and actually the second foreign language which I learned at school. So please excuse my "funny" English! Should I better write in Dutch - my fourth language ;-)?

cheers
Katha

Unknown said...

The funny thing is, I speak English with a Dutch accent. Weird!
Next will be Mandarin :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Gi,

I'm very sorry I missed to learn Mandarin ;-). At work we created a new language because of the newest product a litlle rabbit... During my studies I'm learning the marketing language... also a little bit strange.
Have fun to speak the Dutch English. In Scotland we told me the "Amsterdam German". And yesterday I answered in Dutch not in English... confusing.

Have a nice evening!
Katha